College Bowl Pick' Em 2008
- January 10th
- New Archives,
thanks to Wes
1) Wes Battle has tied for 1st twice (2001, 2005) and placed 2nd
once (2003) without a victory: he is the all times wins leader.
2) For those that have played at least 3 years, Mark Gander leads
in Average Wins per season (18.0)-Tania Harrick 2nd at 17.5.
3) Chris Williams is a two-time winner with $6,000 and your Money
4) Through 2008, the Bowl Poll has been contested by 119 players.
5) 6 players have competed in every bowl poll (8 years) Battle,
McBride, C. Harrick, LT, B. Cohen and M. Shaker
6) Doug Cohen owns the distinction for getting last THREE TIMES,
including twice in back-to-back seasons (2003-2004)
7) Lincoln Gaffney went from first to worst in 2004-2003
8) 45 of 67 participants in 2007 had competed before. 22 were newcomers.
9) In 2008, 41 of 44 participants had played before-only 3 newcomers.
10) The average Winner picks 67% of the games correctly.
11) 3 out of 8 years, the Champion has been decided by the tiebreak-your
5 Best Bets.
12) Linoln Gaffney had the best single year in 2004, winning 79%
!!! Or 22 of 28 games.
13) Doug Cohen had the worst single year in 2004, winnning 25% or
7 of 28 games.
- January 8th
- Congrats to John Mah!! The four way tie in total wins throws it
to the first tiebreaker, which Mah wins by picking Florida as his
top pick to give him 12 points total. Palmer had 10 and harrick
8 and Carlson had 3 (Carlson would have won if Oklahoma had won.
- January 7th
- As a reminder, as the rules state and as it has been in the past,
it is total wins, five best picks (valued 5,4,3,2,1) and THEN the
points in the championship game. The Player scenarios dont reflect
the 'five best' and thus are based on who can get
to the most wins. Sorry if that has confused anyone.
- Carlson has 20 points, to 19 for harrick, palmer, and Mah. Carlson
is the only one with Oklahoma, so if they win/cover, Carlson is
the winner, by games won alone. If Florida wins, we have a four
way tie and it goes to best bets. Mah would have 12, Palmer 10,
and Harrick 8. So Mah would win.
- So Florida Mah, Oklahoma Carlson. Best of luck!
- January 3rd
- Gaffney is out. Four left
- January 2nd
- With the Mississippi win we now have a five way tie for first.
With no one a game back. The winner will come from this group. Good
luck to Tania, John, Tom, Lincoln, & Krystal
- See the top five picks for the contenders below. Gaffney is in
the best shape with 10 points, and 15 possible. Remember, this is
only in case of a tie, and there are still a lot of points in play
- January 1st
- Happy New Years
- Halfway through New Years Day and over half way through all the
bowl games, John Mah and Tom Carlson are tied for first but have
a ton of people nipping at their heels. 27 people within five games
with nine to go. Nine people within three games
- Player Scenarios are now available!
- December 27th
- December 27th
- With Florida Atlantics win (which only ten people got right) Tom
Carlson and Krystal Palmer moved into a tie for first, though with
twenty six games to play everyone is in it.
- For those of you straggling on payment, please get that in, see
original info below for where to send.
- December 26th
- Shane Hasty is the last person standing with an '0' in his record,
and he is not undefeated. However he has lots of company at one
win with such notables as Chad East, Wes Battle, Johnson Doubleday,
past champion Ryan Friend, Maddog Thompson and Dr. Dave Caldwell.
- Tonight’s Motor City Bowl starts 9 straight days of Bowls
with 24 games-Enjoy!
- December 25th
- Merry Christmas!!
- Bridgid and Kelly both took Hawaii, so no one is perfect and eight
people are tied with four wins
- Things start heating up after a day off for Christmas with fifteen
games before we even get to New Years
- December 24th
- After four games, two ladies are undefeated and share the lead
at 4-0: congrats Brigid Czyszczon and Kelly Gander. On the flip
side, two dudes: Dave Caldwell and Shane Hasty are 0-4 but 28 games
to go….Merry Christmas from the Bowl Poll and enjoy ND-Hawaii
Christmas eve as you wait for Santa!
- December 21st
- Spreads and schedule are posted, which is a good resource for planning
your viewing enjoyment. Be aware the games are not all ordered chronologically
(for some reason).
- Seven people got the first two games correct, fourteen got one correct,
and sixteen none.
- R&L Carriers bowl with fouteen points in the first two minutes
is looking fun...
- December 20th
- And we are off and running. With forty four players we are off
a bit from last year, but still our third largest pool ever and
$3,300 for a grand prize. Of course, with less people, your chances
of winning are also higher. Whats it going to take? No one knows.
- A great tip is in the report package, go to 'Tournament Results'
and hit the pencil to see how many people picked each team, and
who picked who. 24 picked Fresno today (but not me, Go Colorado
- December 9th
- Welcome to College Bowl Pick Em 2008. For those of you that have
participated in years past welcome back. For newcomers, this is
a great event and I know you will enjoy it. There is no better way
to become intimately involved in all the games. People often talk
about the meaning of the season around this time of year......and
I am pretty sure they mean College Bowl Season.
- There are 34 bowl games this year, however, our software can unfortunately
only handle 32. We have looked at several different formats/websites
and none allowed us to run the contest in the same manner as we
have in the past (specifically the weighted favorites, which we
believe is a superior method for choosing a champion). Therefore
we are NOT using the two new bowl games. Pick 32 Bowl Games against
the spread plus the tiebreak of your top 5 best bets and predicted
score of the Championship Game. You will get 5 points for your 1st
best bet, 4 pts for your 2nd, 3 for your 3rd, and so on down to
1 pt for your 5th. In the event of a tie, the person with the most
points wins. If still tied, closest score wins.
- You will be able to track your standings daily on this website.
The first game is the New Mexico Bowl on Saturday December 20th
at 2:30 pm EST. That is the deadline for joining and payment should
be submitted upon completing your entry. One last note, if there
is a tie game (due to the spread, also known as a push) that counts
as a loss as far as the picking of best bets.
- The fee is $75 (or less than $3 per game, which netted the winner
last year $5,025) is payable to: [email protected] via paypal ($78
using Paypal) with a debit or credit card. Or you can send a check
snail mail to Bradley Cohen: 516 S. Highland Ave. Apt. #31 Pittsburgh,
PA 15206. If you use Paypal make sure you make the subject line
something innocuous such as 'trip payment' or something. I got in
trouble a couple years ago.
- You can email me at [email protected] if you have any questions.
- A quick note on corrections. Once you have made
your picks online you can not make changes. However, if you need
to change a pick you made, email me the details at [email protected]
before the deadline (No changes allowed after that) and I can make
- Ryan Friend (2007) (67 competitors
- $5,025 - 20T wins, 66% Winning Percentage)
- Chris Williams
(2006) (54 - $4,050 - 22, 69%)
- Rob Hassell (2005) (38 - $2,850
- 17T, 61%)
- Lincoln Gaffney (2004) (31 -
$2,325 - 22, 79%)
- Steven Sparks (2003) (27 - $2,025
- 18, 64%)
- Chris Williams (2002) (26 -
$1,950 - 17, 61%)
- Rocky Stone (2001) (15 - $1,125
- 16T, 64%)
- Updated Archives (thanks to
- Below is a graph of the growth of this pool. Click to enlarge